These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Digital led strip decoder driver

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
bluc
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: na

Digital led strip decoder driver

Post by bluc »

Hey all first post here :) I am a hobby pc case builder. I recently stumbled across dmx lighting and digital led strips and I thought it would be a great way to showcase my pc case. Anyway I stuffed up and bought rgb analogue decoder drivers for the strips :oops: and obviously don't work :( so I have been searching for a 12v digital led strip driver without success. Can anyone one point me in the direction of a reseonably priced decoder driver for digital led strips? I plan on using freestyler once the case is complete . Thanks in advance cheers

usLEDsupply
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Re: Digital led strip decoder driver

Post by usLEDsupply »

what type of chips are you using?
we have the DMX to LPD6803/D705 Converters for the 12v 6803 strips $50ea
http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/rgb-dmx ... coder.html

we also have the ws2801 converters for the 5v strips and/or Christmas lights

but each model chip needs a converter designed for that model so make sure you get the right one
bluc

Post by bluc »

Here are the led stip lights http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/49346 ... b_led.html is the chip you are talking about the ones on the led strip? Does not seem to mention what the chip is in the description.
bluc

Post by bluc »

So the pic I uploaded is the analogue driver I bought is it possible to drive single colour uv led strip light off these or do they only do rgb analogue strip?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
usLEDsupply

Post by usLEDsupply »

well the strips you got are not digital strips (you can control control the whole strip at once not each section separately)
but they should work with that decoder as it is not for digital strips either

i am attaching a diagram for connecting those
(they are a little different then our strips but the wiring will be the same)
DMX Decoder 6A.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc

Post by bluc »

Ok :( so what does it mean by "addressable" in the tittle? I assumed this meant I could control each light. The strips have not arrived yet I may have to send them back and switch them if they wont I guess I will try and find a use for them. Thanks for the help so far.
usLEDsupply

Post by usLEDsupply »

I would say they mislead you (you have to be careful buying from china) you may want to find another use for them as returning them may be even harder then trying to get the right item in the first place.

the ones you are looking for will have a IC Chip on each section and should be called Digital Point Strips or some people call them Digital or Addressable Strips but if they don't have the chip you will only be able to control the whole strip at once

whatever model you choose make sure to get one that has a 6803 or 2801 chip type so you can control it with DMX (there are a few other chip types that will work as well but they are less common and you may have trouble finding decoders for them)
6803 diagram.pdf
bluc

Post by bluc »

usLEDsupply wrote:I would say they mislead you (you have to be careful buying from china) you may want to find another use for them as returning them may be even harder then trying to get the right item in the first place.

the ones you are looking for will have a IC Chip on each section and should be called Digital Point Strips or some people call them Digital or Addressable Strips but if they don't have the chip you will only be able to control the whole strip at once

whatever model you choose make sure to get one that has a 6803 or 2801 chip type so you can control it with DMX (there are a few other chip types that will work as well but they are less common and you may have trouble finding decoders for them)
6803 diagram.pdf
Yea good point they can be hard to deal with at best :) So are the drivers I have capable of driving uv led strip? Just trying to work out a use for my drivers. Also are these digital strips? http://lxledlighting.en.alibaba.com/pro ... gital.html Have had a look on your site but I dont think your strips have a dense enough led ratio I only have a fairly small area and need a lot of leds per meter to get the desired affect,
usLEDsupply

Post by usLEDsupply »

no those aren't digital ones either

Return to “DMX Interfaces”